Sunday, April 06, 2008

Sound Bite Sunday

As with most folks, my love affair with music is organized around memories: people, places, pain, joy, anger, genius, etc. I remember one of the first time's I feel in love with a band because of a woman. There was this sister named Fenyx who I was interested in at the time, and on her outgoing voicemail message was this song that always made me want to leave a message. The track was lush, jazzy, soulful and thematically rich. The lead singers' voices had such gravity that you couldn't help but listen and hope for more. I later found out that the group's name was Incognito. That was almost 10 years ago, to this day I'm still thankful for that sister's sophisticated musical tastes as they have continued to influence my listening choices and consumption.

This band has always touched me in very complicated and diverse ways, challenging and developing my emotional intelligence along the way. Hopefully, this introduction will open a similar portal for you. Please enjoy Still a Friend of Mine, one of my favorite tracks and in my opinion, Incognito at their finest--with Maysa Leak singing lead.

*Incognito are a British band, widely regarded as one of the key members of the English acid jazz movement. Throughout the band's history, it has been led and driven by composer, record producer, guitarist and singer, Jean-Paul 'Bluey' Maunick.


Incognito - Still A Friend of Mine



Stay Sucka Free,
f.negro

No comments: