Monday, August 07, 2006

Firestorm

I stand…alone in the preceding calm moments before the firestorm. Taking last opportunities to be open and absorbent…it may never be after this. That’s the possibility and that is enough to make me question my own strength. I knew it was only a matter of time…its like realizing there is only so much air left… so you just take your time…trying not to panic…but being as still as possible to enjoy and honor what it is you have. I felt the heat of the storm approaching…I seen it resting in the horizon…building…preparing to occupy and ravish the next space….to leave nothing more than ash ,debris and decay…maybe purified spirits. I know the potential….and I acknowledge my feelings, as well as your emotions…its terrifying and uncomforting…but necessary all the same.

I stand in conviction …self-assured…with secure thoughts that if there is no more…it was miraculous and righteous. That it was the highest expression of God and that no one can ever erase these moments from existence.

But I stand…confused and as if I have been given notice…using every ounce of my emotional strength not to break down and give in to the mounting weight of the unknown…the possible void. It is a pivotal moment…our equinox…and I respect its importance even as I prepare to face darts of fire. ..I want wholeness for you…I want solace and comfort for you…and growth…and ice cream. I’m so scared right now that I want to close up and run. Denounce what I feel…lie to myself and remember how easy it used to be. I see the storm coming and I think in a solar language that reveals my truth…that I must confront this storm…even at the likelihood of death. There is nothing romantic about it…but empowering. I proclaim ownership in this… bold and daring, I welcome the outcome, because it is to be, no matter my futile efforts. I just need one last moment…maybe I won’t get it… maybe you’ll fade into someone else’s dream and I’ll walk with only memories.

I can smell the firestorm… the stench of open wounds, the fragrance of overburned body oils…the odor of the future… and its poignancy is unbearable, but I remain positioned in the understanding of your needs…I open my arms…with my body defenseless and receptive to the unforgiving temperature…waiting to be devoured…as darts ablaze penetrate my skin…my bones…my veins and muscles…I stand accepting the pain…surrounded by the storm…the fire torments and eats my already punctured skin…I feel my body’s weakness emerging…but I continue to stand with the conviction of a born again Christian or converted Muslim…I know the storm can only last for so long…but how much can I endure…that I don’t know…I will stand until there is no more of me left to stand or until the storm is gone.

Either way…I can say I kissed her…I seen her…I hugged her…I touched her face…I gave myself to her…I learned how to “be” from her…I trusted her…I was loyal to her…I tasted her…I shared with her…I appreciated her…I reminded her…she reminded me…maybe I’m taking it too far…but I’m prepared… for whatever…in the eye of the firestorm I find the sweetest thoughts of you. I stand soaked in flames embracing the most beautiful thing I have ever experienced in my life and it is ….the greatest feeling…. in the world.

16 comments:

Angel said...

"Either way…I can say I kissed her…I seen her…I hugged her…I touched her face…I gave myself to her…I learned how to “be” from her…I trusted her…I was loyal to her…I tasted her…I shared with her…I appreciated her…I reminded her…she reminded me…maybe I’m taking it too far…but I’m prepared… for whatever…in the eye of the firestorm I find the sweetest thoughts of you. I stand soaked in flames embracing the most beautiful thing I have ever experienced in my life and it is ….the greatest feeling…. in the world."


ooooooooooooo SHYT!!!!!!!!! that's that sam cooke coming outta you boi! damn donny hathaway singin ass! it's her loss boo. her loss... but i will say this, i appreciate her. because she definitely inspired you to write some of the most beautifullest shyt you've ever written! fa real!

SLUMP FACADE said...

These are the words I've felt, but never expressed only once for a young woman who passed in the night years ago, "I know the potential….and I acknowledge my feelings, as well as your emotions…its terrifying and uncomforting…but necessary all the same." Nice piece...

SunshineMama said...

I don't know what to do with it. ...Sometimes I wonder if I ever did. The timing was off, the feelings were overwhelming, the meeting was spontaneous. I've processed it...I think. Other times I think it got lost somewhere between the break-up and "the sunshines" arrival. So I just placed all "the moments" in an unmarked box because it still defies description, but it keeps them safe. I better stop here. ...Once again, I'm at a loss. G'damniiit!

fidel.negro said...

@sunshinemama: don't do that....cuz you gonna get me started again. readin' your words...(*sigh*) connecting with your thoughts ignites this emotion inside me that should be illegal. sometimes i wonder where all of that came from or why i was able to be so honest and open. it was the first time i experienced something like that for such an extended amount of time. its scary now that i think about because that vulnerbility is volatile like nuclear weaponery...it can go either way. But i want to ask you to be amazing grace("i'm at a loss") for a moment...i want to hear you speak from that place.

SunshineMama said...

(sigh)...you want me to speak from my place of loss?? You are asking me to ask a lot of myself. Does that make sense? But for you... I'll do it. This is gonna take a minute...

catalyst said...

I'm writing a movie called firestorm. Its going to be a love story wrapped up in a freedom story. I going to get my cast together and my effects folks together I am going to get everyone in position for the opening scene and then, I am going to give them this piece, and say......... action!

catalyst said...

hope you don't mind any impending copyright infringements (I am sure we will work something out)

Hannibal Ad Portas!!

MasterPeace Theatre said...

I'll be honest. I think that was a hard piece ot erad. Hard, because as much as I read it over and over, as much as I stop and think about it... only to re-read that one sentence again... no, that one....ooo, wait... that one, ahh sh!t, the whole thing...

It is incredibly hard to know exactly how you feel/t... EVEN in the insurmountably beautiful stream of consciousness! I know that the power of words is tremendous, especially in terms of capturing the soul and spirit a woman or man, their experience, their thoughts...

I yield to the words you've expressed here, to only give us a glimpse. Much like we contextualize spiritual texts... we were not there. Much like we have authors recreate the most powerful historical moments in time... we were not there.

I cannot share your experience. But I can share YOUR feeling, YOUR thoughts, YOUR experience. I share with you... you.

MasterPeace Theatre said...

That shit is closure, for REAL.


A Prisoner of Hope, I remain...

fidel.negro said...

@fallen angel: i always look forward to your comments cuz you seem to read my words so well (i guess cuz you have context). thank you...for the compliment(s).

@slumpfacade: 'preciate the words brethren. i waitin to hear that side we've been talkin' bout, that expression that comes for the place that nobody else sees but you and God.

@sunshinemama: take your time.

@catalyst: you already know. its been in/on my mind, but i would love to see it happen. and i'm sure we can work somethin' out.

@masterpeace theatre: i dig where you comin' from brethren. i've often felt that that is the post-purpose of these pieces...to share a voice/experience with the brothas and the sistas who love them. maybe provide a vocabulary of vulnerbility that may not exist in their lexicon at this moment...their heart may not be open to it. i think mesha moments is saying...its alright to feel that, this and the other. you still a man.

nikki said...

wow.

i won't get into poetic breakdown. all i've got is the 'wow' and though it's woefully inadequate in describing my awe, i'm too lazy to come up with a better one.

fidel.negro said...

@nikki:sometimes that's all we need to say, because anything else just wouldn't capture it. Awe implies speechlessness(*word?), so...wow! is enough sista. thanks for connectin'.

A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

YOU ARE AN ASS FOR MAKING ME FIND THIS ON ACCIDENT!

I AM STILL YOUR OLDER SISTER AND WE CAN STIL HAVE A FIGHT!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE YOU TO PIECES AND UMM, I'M GONNA GET TO THE POST OFFICE SOON.

BUT YOU'RE STILL AN ASS AND DON'T FORGET IT!

SunshineMama said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
MasterPeace Theatre said...

As an onlooker-not-even-a-bystander in all of this. I am overwhelmed. As a student to the life close to mine but not mine... I am so emotional for -- those emotional. I'm not sure an abyss has an end point that we can hear, see, taste, feel.

Maybe this is our first pin drop, glimpse, morsel, fingertip touch.

FEEL on... feel on!

layne bowden said...

Although Angel stole the lines I was gonna quote... Imma do it anyway! (LOL)

Although the entire piece is magnificent. This right here:

Either way…I can say I kissed her…I seen her…I hugged her…I touched her face…I gave myself to her…I learned how to “be” from her…I trusted her…I was loyal to her…I tasted her…I shared with her…I appreciated her…I reminded her…she reminded me…maybe I’m taking it too far…but I’m prepared… for whatever…in the eye of the firestorm I find the sweetest thoughts of you. I stand soaked in flames embracing the most beautiful thing I have ever experienced in my life and it is ….the greatest feeling…. in the world.

stole the very breath from me!! I am in awe. I LOVE words and feelings when they are put together beautifully and this post has done the damn thing for me!! Thank you! My day is complete.

Be... eternal. Peace!