Saturday, January 12, 2008

Casual Theatre

For those who don't know I'm a junkie of the Arts, especially the Performing Arts. So, recently I had the opportunity to coordinate a cabaret, which turned out to be more of a culture cauldron/variety show then a cabaret. It was our experiment in casual theatre, providing an informal space for artists to share their work. And it was a huge success! With almost 20 acts and close to 100 people in attendance, I would say there is still a place for creative expression in the form of performance.

There was everything from Flamenco to Spoken Word and Beat Boxing to Tango. The highlight of the night for me, though, was the tribute to Donny Hathaway. One part poetry, one part music, the suite was my way of publicly thanking Mr. Hathaway for providing healthy examples of Black male vulnerability. And subsequently expanding my definition of manhood. Art truly inspires. Pay attention world.

**Stay Sucka Free,

F.Negro

(photo credit: M.Sanchez)

4 comments:

A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

you're just trying to be like me!

I went to a warhol tribute exhibit and got quite tipsy. I was fondly reminded of my old days in New York.

When are you coming to LA?

fidel.negro said...

@ aunt jackie: like you? abeg. anyway, the conf. is on the 23rd and I was hoping to visit you on the 26th & 27th. How does that sound?

Angel said...

i miss you too! what about me??? you know how "possessive i get of my male friends!!!!" ;-)

fidel.negro said...

@fallen a.: riiiiite. this is true. i'll see you when you decide to brave the cold and come visit.