Sunday, February 03, 2008

Sound Bite Sunday(s)

I am a knower that music is a vehicle and medium of change. Political, emotional, mental and spiritual change. It has this power to impact us on a subatomic level, transmitting beautiful and ugly notions alike. I prefer the former. So in honor of music's positive aesthetic and purpose, I would like to introduce Sound Bite Sunday. Every week I'll post some of the most delectable musical biscuits this quadarant of the galaxy. Old and new, domestic and international, all of which are suited to inspire and contribute to a more colorful and diverse musical palette.

I love soul and funk. These genres lay at the foundation of my childhood. My mama sings and my father was a musician, both are music junkies. So, this post is a tribute to their generation. A time when music was rich with good vibes, even if the lyrics were infused with pain and tumult.

  • Roy Ayers, vibraphonist and Jazz/Funk icon, has given the world an incredible soundtrack to live to. Although probably best known for tracks like Everybody Loves The Sunshine and Searching, I would argue that Running Away is one of his greatest contributions. From the first, "doo be doo/run, run.." it is impossible to be still. With an infectiously funky bassline, heavy polyrhythms and story of a one-sided love, the groove is clearly made for a disco crowd. But this cut is timeless, made for Sundays and moments of celebration. Take your time(slow load) and enjoy... Roy Ayers - Running Away


  • A fairly obscure funk and soul singer, George McCrae has a few tunes in his discography that apparently made a serious impact in the 70s, only one of which that I know. And the only reason why I know the tune is because of its heavy sample usage. Here' s my attempt to turn on the rest of the planet to Sir George and his undercelebrated genius. Check this cut and let me know if you can identify the (most popular) songs that used this sample... George McCrae - I Get Lifted

Until next time....Stay Sucka-Free y'all.

f.negro

2 comments:

Angel said...

can a "musical biscuit" be as light, flaky, and delicious as a regular biscuit? if so, i'd like to request mine with butter and grape jelly only...! hahahhahahaha!

Anonymous said...

so there are maaad songs that use this. some are really obvious and others not so much...but u know that song by tim dog called bitch with a perm? about snoop? that one surprised me.